Record Store Day Drops 2020 - Sept 26
If you watched television, went to the movies, or listened to radio in the ‘80s and ‘90s, you probably heard Suzanne Ciani's work whether you knew it or not. Suzanne is a five-time Grammy award-nominated composer, electronic music pioneer, and neo-classical recording artist whose work has been featured in countless commercials, video games, and feature films. The documentary A Life In Waves explores Suzanne's life and innovations through her own eyes, offering a feminine glimpse into the world of electronic music.
With fifteen albums spanning 40-plus years, countless commercial scores and sound designs, Suzanne's catalog is among the most rich and varied of any artist working today. With selections ranging from Suzanne's early modular experimentations, to her commercial sound design, to her romantic synthesizer works, to her delicate piano compositions, this soundtrack is the only collection of its kind. Like the film, it's a journey into Suzanne's mind, and a career-spanning exploration of this genre-defying artist. Pressed on clear vinyl for Record Store Day 2020.
1. Liberator Atari TV Spot (Long Version) 2. The First Wave (Birth of Venus) 3. Concert at Phil Niblock’s Loft (Excerpt) 4. “Pop & Pour” Coca-Cola Logo 5. Lincoln Mercury 4-Door Cougar TV Spot 6. Suzanne Ciani 'Clean Room' ITT TV Spot 2012 7. The Eighth Wave 8. Rain (A Life In Waves Version) 9. Paris 1971 10. Princess 11. Butterflies 12. The Third Wave (Love In The Waves)
Ponytails & Cocktails is a collaboration between 5 individuals from all different backgrounds. Front man and lead singer, Chad Dukes hosts a daily sports talk radio program (Chad Dukes VS The World) for over a decade in Washington DC on CBS 106.7 The Fan. He also hosts the everlasting podcast," Big O and Dukes" since 2007, boasting more than 50 Million downloads. Acoustic Guitarist, Dempsey Hamilton, is the owner of Mobius Records in Fairfax, VA. as well as a long-time touring sound engineer.
Spawned from their love of the Broken Lizard movie "Club Dread", Ponytails & Cocktails started as a tribute band to Bill Paxton's character "Coconut Pete". They are the ONLY band endorsed by Jay Chandrasekhar and Erik Stolhanske of the comedy troop "Broken Lizard". From there, they decided to write their own material in the same spirit. “Big Blue Wave” is their first original album and it debuted at #6 on the Billboard Comedy charts in 2019 and shot up to #3 on iTunes sales the first 2 weeks it was available.They made only 250 hard copies of CD and Tapes and sold them out within the first weekend. This limited edition record comes with a bonus track and skit not included on the CD or Streaming. Think Wheeler Walker Jr. on a beach in Pińa Coladaberg.
THIS RELEASE IS BEING CHAMPIONED BY RSD STORE MOBIUS DISCS IN FAIRFAX, VA. IT IS AVAILABLE TO ALL STORES BUT WILL MOST LIKELY BE FOUND IN THAT REGION.
1.Big Blue Wave 2.Look Behind The Banana 3. Interlude #1 4.Percy Pelican’s 5.Son Of A Santa 6.Week Of Tribulations 7.Interlude #2 8.Tacos In Valhalla 9.Canyons Of Urine 10.Putman’s Hair 11.Follow The Banana 12. Big Blue Wave (clean)
The story of this compilation begins with a decades old myth; the "mystery singer" on a 10" acetate demo played to Elvis by Sam Phillips in June of 1954. Phillips, who was unable to ascertain the name of the singer, asked Elvis to sing the song as a debut record. The young, unknown Elvis was daunted by the performance. After attempting to record the song, Elvis felt he could not do it justice, and went on to record “That's All Right”. The demo's existence became an urban myth. The singer was finally identified as Jimmy Sweeney in early 2017 by writer Chris Kennedy, whose suspicions were confirmed by multiple sources, including Jimmy's daughter Eugenia. Sweeney’s masterpiece will finally be released under his own name on this compilation. In addition to that demo song, “Without You”, the album features some of Sweeney’s best recordings, many of which were never released to the public.
1. “Without You” - Jimmy Sweeney 2. “Deep Blues” - Jimmy Sweeney and the Varieteers 3. “I Pay With Every Breath” - Jimmy Sweeney and the Varieteers 4. “It Wouldn’t Be The Same (Without You) “- The Varieteers 5. “Desire” - Jimmy Sweeney 6. “Danny Boy” - Jimmy Destry 7. “Don’t Come In Here” – Varieteers 8. “Tobacco Road” - Jimmy Sweeney
1. “Gonna Find My Sweetheart “- Jimmy Sweeney 2. “Flippity Flop”- Jimmy Sweeney 3. “Sick, Sick, Sick” - Jim Sweeney 4. “She Wears My Ring” - Jimmy Bell 5. “Where You Lead Me” - Jim Sweeney 6.”Lunch In A Bucket” - Jimmy Bell 7. “Afraid” - Jim Sweeney 8. “What’cha Gonna Do About Me” - Jimmy Bell 9. “Deacon Brown” - Jimmy Sweeney
Mike Watt, legendary bassist behind Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Dos, and so much more, is the latest to release a cover of a Squeeze song for Record Store Day. Mike teams up with his Secondmen for a cover of 'In Quintessence,' the opening track from Squeeze's 1981 album East Side Story. This is the fifth installment from the Swindles series and was produced and engineered by Squeeze-aficionado Steve Mandel. This is the first time Mike's version of "In Quintessence" has ever been released and will be available as a 45 single, with the vocal version on the A-side and the instrumental version on the B-side, for Record Store Day 2020.
SIDE A: In Quintessence SIDE B: In Quintessence (Instrumental)
First vinyl reissue of this landmark 1975 album released on Vanguard Records. Features "Take Yo' Praise," which was sampled in the hit song "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim. All-analog mastering from the original tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, pressed on 180-gram black vinyl and housed in a single tip-on jacket.
SIDE A –
1. But It Comes Out Mad 2. Dream - Panic - Sonny Boy the Rip-Off Man - Little Sally the Super Sex Star (Taking Care of Business) 3. Ain’t It A Lonely Feeling
SIDE B –
1. Take Yo' Praise 2. Can I Get a Witness 3. All Hid
Founder Marie Daulne's mixed cultural roots--Walloon and Bantu (Belgian and Pygmee)--were the stimulus for her musical creation. After studying with the Bantu and in Europe, she organized Zap Mama as an instrument to meld a synthesis of these previously separate traditions. She instantly stood the vocal world on its head by mixing multiple musical styles, performing them with a group of women who created such rhythmic wonder that everyone sat up and took notice. This, their first release, has many tunes with Pygmee yodel and chant, a 16th century Spanish song, a Cuban song, and elements of Syrian songs. It was the first World Music 'hit' selling over 200,000 copies in the US alone. Available for the first time on vinyl. And on magenta splatter color vinyl too!
1. Mupepe 2. Bottom 3. Brrlak! 4. Abadou 5. Take Me Coco 6. Plekete 7. Mizike 8. Babanzele 9. Din Din 10. I Ne Suhe 11. Guzophela 12. Nabombeli Yo 13. Marie-Josee 14. Ndje Mukanie 15. Son Cubano